Your Voice. Your Insights. Your Platform.

Join Asia’s most trusted digital publishing platform for expert analysis, in-depth journalism, and thought-provoking insights.

Trusted by 33,120+ readers and experts

Latest News
View All
Must See
View All
/
Economy
Thu, 19 Feb 2026
Donald Trump on Wednesday said the United States trade deficit has shrunk by 78 per cent, crediting the drop to tariffs imposed on foreign countries and companies. Posting on Truth Social, he stated that the deficit could turn into a surplus within the year for the first time in decades. The remarks come nearly a year after his administration rolled out the so-called “Liberation Day” tariffs on more than 100 countries. Announced on April 2, 2025, the reciprocal duties — ranging from 10 to 50 per cent — were described by Trump as a declaration of economic independence. Despite earlier claims of progress, official figures show volatility in trade data. In November last year, the US trade deficit in goods and services jumped to 56.8 billion dollars, almost doubling from the previous month. According to The New York Times, the sharp increase reflects unstable trade flows amid ongoing tariff policies. Data from the Commerce Department indicated exports fell 3.6 per cent to 292.1 billion dollars, while imports rose 5 per cent to 348.9 billion dollars in November. This widened the gap between imports and exports, reversing the narrower deficit recorded in October. The New York Times also reported that economists attribute the earlier decline in the deficit to temporary factors, including fluctuations in gold trade. For the first 11 months of 2025, the overall trade deficit remained 4.1 per cent higher than the same period the previous year. Trade relationships have also shifted. From January to November, the US trade deficit with China stood at 189 billion dollars, lower than the deficit with the European Union. The effective US tariff rate has climbed to nearly 17 per cent, its highest level since 1932. Meanwhile, the administration’s tariff authority faces legal scrutiny, with the Supreme Court expected to rule soon on the use of a 1970s emergency law to impose the measures. The White House has indicated it may pursue alternative legal avenues if the policy is struck down. Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.
/
Opinions
View All
/
Rahul Iyer
Riteish Deshmukh honors Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on Shiv Jayanti at Shiveni Fort.

Bollywood actor Riteish Deshmukh paid homage to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on Thursday at Shivneri Fort to mark Shiv Jayanti. On the Maratha ruler’s birth anniversary, Deshmukh visited the historic fort to honor Shivaji Maharaj’s remarkable contributions. During the visit, he also posed for a group photo with children dressed in traditional Maharashtrian attire.

Following the tribute, Riteish Deshmukh extended his greetings to all devotees of Shivaji Maharaj and stressed the importance of educating India’s youth about the ruler’s legacy. Speaking to the media, he said, “I extend my best wishes to all devotees of Shivaji on the occasion of Shiv Jayanti. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj continues to inspire and energize us. Young people should learn about the sacrifices he made for the nation, and we should all strive to be better human beings.”

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also paid tribute to the visionary leader, exceptional administrator, and champion of Swarajya. The Prime Minister noted that Shivaji Maharaj’s courage remains an inspiration, his governance serves as a model, and his spirit of justice and self-respect strengthens society even today. Modi highlighted that Shivaji Maharaj prioritized the welfare of every individual and devoted himself entirely to their protection—a commitment that makes his life a guiding light for India across generations.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

Entertainment
Thu, 19 Feb 2026
/
Diya Srinivasan
Eleven fishermen from Tamil Nadu have returned to Chennai following their release in Sri Lanka.

Eleven fishermen from Tamil Nadu, who had been imprisoned in Sri Lanka, returned to Chennai by flight on Thursday. They arrived at Chennai airport from Colombo on an IndiGo Airlines flight, where officials from the Tamil Nadu Fisheries Department received them and arranged transport to their home districts of Ramanathapuram, Nagapattinam, and Mayiladuthurai. Among the 11 fishermen, four were from Ramanathapuram, and seven hailed from Nagapattinam and Mayiladuthurai.

The fishermen had set out for fishing on July 23, 2025, in a mechanised boat when a Sri Lankan naval patrol intercepted them during the early hours. Sri Lankan authorities alleged that the fishermen had crossed the maritime boundary and were fishing in Sri Lankan waters. Their boat, catch, and fishing nets were seized, and all 11 were arrested and later presented before a court in Sri Lanka.

Following the arrests, the fishermen’s families appealed to the government for intervention. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin wrote to External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, requesting action. The Indian High Commission officials in Sri Lanka negotiated with local authorities, and a Sri Lankan court eventually ordered the release of the fishermen, who were handed over to Indian High Commission officials. Medical examinations were conducted, and Emergency Certificates were issued before their return to India.

Meanwhile, tensions escalated as the Sri Lankan Navy detained 22 Tamil Nadu fishermen and seized four fishing boats in two separate incidents on Wednesday. CR Senthilvel, Vice President of the National Fishermen Association, stated that over 450 fishing boats from Rameswaram had been fishing in the Gulf of Mannar between Dhanushkodi and Thalaimannar when three boats and 18 fishermen were arrested for allegedly crossing the maritime boundary. In a separate incident, a boat from Mandapam was intercepted near Neduntheevu in the Palk Strait, and four fishermen were taken into custody along with the boat. These detentions have caused distress and concern among the families and boat owners in Rameswaram and Mandapam.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.

Asia In News
Thu, 19 Feb 2026
/
Pooja Sharma
Russia's frontline communications disrupted as Starlink and Telegram face restrictions.

Russian forces in Ukraine are encountering major communication challenges due to both restricted access to Elon Musk’s Starlink internet system and a Kremlin crackdown on the Telegram messaging app. The sudden disruptions have hindered frontline operations, according to complaints on pro-Russian military channels, which have been confirmed by Ukrainian and European diplomats and analysts. This comes as Kyiv’s forces reportedly continue to inflict heavy losses on Russian troops.

Earlier in February, Elon Musk stated that SpaceX had successfully blocked “unauthorized use of Starlink by Russia,” cutting off terminals that had been smuggled into the country and deployed for military communications and drone operations. Ukrainian Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov confirmed that authorized terminals used by Ukraine remained operational and thanked SpaceX for its timely support.

On February 10, Russia’s communications regulator, Roskomnadzor, imposed new restrictions on Telegram for failing to comply with national data laws, angering many Russian soldiers who rely on the app for battlefield communication. Senior European diplomats told Bloomberg that these disruptions have had a notable impact. A NATO official noted that some of Ukraine’s recent tactical successes were made possible because Russian troops lost access to Starlink. Analysts from the Institute for the Study of War said Ukrainian counterattacks in recent days likely benefited from these disruptions, particularly as Russian drone operations have been slowed, limiting their ability to strike at previous levels.

Analyst David Kirichenko of the Center for European Policy Analysis emphasized the importance of Starlink, noting that drones, which account for around 60% of battlefield fire damage, are heavily affected by the service loss. Ukraine’s intelligence reports indicate that Russia was using thousands of Starlink terminals at the front. Kyiv also warned that Russian forces pressured Ukrainian relatives of prisoners of war to register terminals on their behalf to bypass restrictions. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy acknowledged Russia would seek alternatives but affirmed Ukraine would attempt to block them. Ukrainian authorities have urged citizens to report any attempts to recruit them for registering blocked terminals.

Pro-Kremlin figures have publicly admitted the impact. Blogger Yuriy Podolyak described the Starlink shutdown as causing “chaos” in communications, while military correspondent Alexander Sladkov said the Telegram restrictions were “burying command and control capabilities.” The disruption coincides with Russia’s effort to push citizens toward its government-backed messaging app, Max, which critics say lacks proper security safeguards. The Russian Defense Ministry confirmed the Starlink shutdown but claimed domestic communications systems were unaffected, with Valery Tishkov of the army’s Main Communications Directorate stating that combat control systems remain operational.

These difficulties come at a challenging moment for Russian frontline troops, as Western assessments suggest the country is losing more soldiers than it can replace. New recruits are often inexperienced and poorly trained, worsening operational effectiveness. Ukraine reported 35,000 Russian KIA in December and 30,000 in January, higher than the 2025 monthly average of 25,000, with recent losses exceeding replacement numbers by about 9,000.

British Defence Secretary John Healey noted that growing casualties have made Russia increasingly reliant on foreign fighters from countries including India, Pakistan, Nepal, Cuba, Nigeria, Senegal, and North Korea. Healey also said that in some areas of the front, Russian losses may now be as high as 25 soldiers for each Ukrainian casualty. Russian officials rarely release official casualty figures, with President Putin and top generals maintaining that Russian fatalities are lower than those suffered by Ukraine.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from Bloomberg.

World
Thu, 19 Feb 2026
/
Arjun Malhotra
Macron praises India at AI Summit 2026, saying it achieved what no other nation has.

On Day 4 of the India AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi, French President Emmanuel Macron lauded India’s digital public infrastructure (DPI) as unparalleled, saying it demonstrates the world’s entry into a new era of AI-driven progress. He highlighted India’s achievements, including its digital ID system for 1.4 billion people, a payments network handling nearly 20 billion monthly transactions, and a health platform issuing over 500 million digital health IDs. “India has built what no other nation has,” Macron said.

Calling the summit a foundation for responsible AI growth, Macron emphasized the importance of shaping technological development to benefit society. Recalling last year’s AI Action Summit in Paris, he noted that both countries had established principles for technologies poised to transform economies and communities. “Last year we called it Action, this year Impact, but the real name is AI Together,” he said, affirming shared support for the AI revolution with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Macron warned that AI is now a field of strategic competition, linking capabilities, chips, and infrastructure directly to geopolitical influence. He praised India’s innovation in small language models, mobile AI systems, and chip production, noting that 38,000 chips have been manufactured at competitive costs. Both India and France, he added, are pursuing independence in AI model development and manufacturing, with France investing €9 billion and expanding low-carbon data centers. Highlighting India’s human capital, Macron stressed its large pool of AI engineers and the world’s second-largest engineering workforce. He noted that effective AI combines infrastructure, talent, and purpose, emphasizing inclusive benefits across agriculture, healthcare, and other sectors.

Macron also addressed the societal impact of AI, urging universal access, responsible use, and child protection. He referenced Indo-French cooperation on sustainable AI initiatives, open translation tools for Indian languages, and joint efforts to combat AI-driven abuse, calling child protection a “matter of civilisation.” Concluding, Macron affirmed India as a key partner in ensuring AI remains accessible, affordable, and responsibly governed. He said AI and digitalization would drive inclusive growth and future prosperity, with both countries working together to shape that future.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from PTI.

News
Thu, 19 Feb 2026
Featured Images
View All

Members of the Kosovo Security Force participated in a ceremonial parade in Pristina to celebrate the 18th anniversary of Kosovo’s independence. The event featured marching troops, national flags, and displays of military discipline, symbolizing the country’s sovereignty and progress since declaring independence. Citizens gathered to witness the celebrations, honoring Kosovo’s journey and commemorating its freedom and national pride.

Disclaimer: This image is taken from Reuters.

Military
Thu, 19 Feb 2026
news-image
Advertisement 1
Advertisement 1
Podcasts
View All
/
Meera Nair
The controversy surrounding families linked to the Islamic State

A group of 34 Australian women and children, who were held by the Islamic State for years without facing charges, have been sent back to a detention camp after trying to escape Syria and return home. Reged Ahmad talks with senior reporter and former foreign correspondent Ben Doherty about the heated discussion surrounding their repatriation and the implications for Australian citizenship.

Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.

Politics
Wed, 18 Feb 2026
/
Saanvi Mukherjee
Can the Iranian diaspora influence change at home?

On Saturday (14 Feb), hundreds of thousands joined global protests against the Iranian government. Daniel Martin talks with Malminderjit Singh, Founder and MD of Terra Corporate Affairs.

Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from CNA.

World
Tue, 17 Feb 2026
/
Priya Iyer
How technology drains us-and ways to reclaim our control

With decisions delegated, chatbots replacing friends, and nature sidelined, Silicon Valley is shaping a life stripped of real connection. Escape is possible—but it will require a united effort.

Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.

Technology
Mon, 16 Feb 2026
/
Tara Nair
Back-to-Back Barries: Will Angus Taylor be enough to prevent One Nation's rise?

The Barries have returned, and Angus Taylor has emerged victorious in the Liberal leadership contest, defeating Sussan Ley. Speaking on Friday afternoon, the newly elected leader stressed that he had no intention of becoming “One Nation lite,” but vowed to “close the door” to those who do not share “Australian values.” However, the leadership spill was not the only major development in Australian politics this week. Barrie Cassidy and Tony Barry also examine the challenges facing Taylor, the growing momentum of One Nation, and the recent visit by Israeli president Isaac Herzog.
Disclaimer: This podcast is taken from The Guardian.

News
Sat, 14 Feb 2026