News

Kolkata Hotel Fire: SIT Formed to Probe Tragedy as CM Suvendu Adhikari Flags 'Legacy of Negligence'

Published On Wed, 19 Aug 2026
Arjun Menon
4 Views
screenshot_2026_08_19_151828a9b384f6_fb2d_4d50_aa32_07d9a30c465b
Share
thumbnail

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Wednesday announced the formation of a five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to conduct a detailed investigation into the deadly fire at a hotel on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata. Adhikari said the administration's immediate priority was rescue and relief work, ensuring proper medical treatment for those injured and determining the circumstances that led to the devastating blaze.

In a post on X, the Chief Minister expressed grief over the incident and alleged that the tragedy highlighted what he described as a “legacy of negligence” from the previous administration. He claimed that unchecked construction and the operation of commercial establishments without adequate compliance with mandatory fire-safety requirements had contributed to unsafe conditions in parts of the city and state.

Adhikari further alleged that previous authorities had failed to conduct proper compliance checks and enforce basic safety regulations. He said the present administration was working to address those shortcomings and strengthen enforcement of fire-safety standards. The Chief Minister also assured victims and their families that the government would extend all possible assistance. He directed officials to ensure that those injured receive the best available medical care and support.

To establish the facts and determine accountability, Adhikari said the five-member SIT had been constituted immediately. The team will examine the circumstances surrounding the fire and determine whether the hotel complied with mandatory fire and safety regulations. The blaze reportedly broke out at around 2 am on Wednesday, leaving at least nine people dead, including a child, while several others were injured. Officials said around 60 people were rescued from the building.

Some of the victims were reportedly Bangladeshi nationals who had travelled to Kolkata for medical treatment. The Bangladesh Deputy High Commission in Kolkata said its officials visited the site after being informed about the incident and coordinated with local authorities regarding the victims. According to the Deputy High Commission, five Bangladeshi nationals were among those confirmed dead, while four of them were members of the same family. Officials were still working to establish the identities of the remaining victims.

The diplomatic mission also said that six injured Bangladeshi nationals had been discharged after receiving initial medical treatment. The newly formed SIT will now examine the sequence of events, fire-safety arrangements at the hotel and whether required safety standards and regulations were properly followed. The investigation is expected to determine whether any lapses or negligence contributed to the loss of life.

Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.