Asia In News

South Korean President Yoon removed from office

Published On Fri, 04 Apr 2025
asda banu
0 Views
news-image
Share
thumbnail
SEOUL — On Friday (April 4), South Koreas Constitutional Court officially removed President Yoon Suk-yeol from office, upholding the impeachment passed by parliament over his brief declaration of martial law last year, which plunged the nation into its deepest political crisis in decades. As required by the constitution, a new presidential election must be held within 60 days.
Until a new president is sworn in, Prime Minister Han Duck-soo will serve as acting president. Acting Chief Justice Moon Hyung-bae stated that Yoon had overstepped his constitutional authority, seriously undermining democratic principles. He said Yoon’s declaration of martial law caused widespread disruption across society, the economy, and international relations. “President Yoon gravely betrayed the trust of the people, the rightful sovereigns of this democratic republic,” Moon said, noting that all eight justices agreed unanimously on the decision. The ruling sparked celebrations among thousands gathered at a rally calling for Yoon’s removal, with many chanting “We won!” as the news broke.
The court’s decision marks the peak of months of political unrest, which have complicated South Korea’s attempts to engage with the new U.S. administration under President Donald Trump amid economic slowdown. In a separate development, the 64-year-old Yoon is also facing a criminal trial on charges of insurrection. He became the first sitting South Korean president to be arrested on January 15, although he was released in March after a court revoked his arrest warrant.
The political crisis began on December 3, when Yoon declared martial law, claiming it was necessary to eliminate “anti-state” forces and accusing the opposition Democratic Party of misusing its parliamentary majority. The decree was withdrawn just six hours later after lawmakers resisted security forces, entered the parliament, and voted against it. Yoon later claimed he never intended to fully enforce military rule and downplayed the situation, emphasizing that no one was harmed. Despite that, mass protests continued for months, and it remains uncertain whether the courts decision will bring lasting political stability.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from Reuters.