World

Israel warns Hamas of increased strikes if launch of balloons and kites continues

Published On Sun, 23 Aug 2026
Asian Horizan Network
6 Views
Tel Aviv: Netanyahu issues Nowruz message from Kirya command centre
Share
thumbnail
Jerusalem, Aug 23 (AHN) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Israel Katz held a situational assessment on Sunday and warned Hamas of increased targeted strikes if the launch of balloons and kites from the Gaza Strip does not stop.
The situational assessment was regarding the threat of drones, balloons and kites launched from the Gaza Strip toward Israel.
The discussion was attended by Chief of the General Staff, Lieutenant General Eyal Zamir, the Head of the National Security Council, and senior Israeli Defence Force (IDF) officials.
"Israel warns Hamas that if the launches toward Israel do not cease immediately, the IDF will act to increase targeted strikes against those responsible for the launches and will evacuate the population from areas used as launch sites for kites, drones, and balloons," the joint statement said.
"The Prime Minister clarified that there will be no return to the state of affairs prior to October 7. Israel will not allow the Hamas terrorist organisation or any other element in the Gaza Strip to threaten our communities again and compromise our citizens' sense of security," it added.
Last week, the Israeli Prime Minister's Office announced that Netanyahu and the Board of Peace have agreed to establish working groups on disarmament and demilitarisation of Gaza.
"The Prime Minister and Board of Peace had deep and constructive discussions. It was agreed to establish two working groups, one on disarmament and demilitarisation of Gaza, which both Israel and the Board of Peace are determined should be prompt and completed before any reconstruction happens in Gaza. A second working group will focus on sanitation, clean water and other public health issues for the people of Gaza, which also impact the people of Israel,” the Israeli Prime Minister’s office said on social media platform X.
On August 5, Netanyahu said that the country will not withdraw its forces from their current positions in Gaza until Hamas is fully disarmed.
"We are instructing IDF (Israel Defence Forces) soldiers to do whatever is necessary to protect themselves, our territory and our citizens," Netanyahu said in a video released on social media.