World
DR Congo govt, M23 agree on roadmap for peace talks
Published On Sun, 23 Aug 2026
Asian Horizan Network
5 Views

Kinshasa, Aug 23 (AHN) The government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and the March 23 Movement (M23) rebel group have agreed on a roadmap for peace negotiations, setting out sequenced steps and timelines for further talks, according to a joint statement.
According to a statement, the two sides said that, during meetings held from August 17 to 21 in Switzerland, they assessed progress and challenges in the Doha peace process while discussing the implementation of existing commitments and the way forward for negotiations under the Doha Framework Agreement.
Following the assessment, the two sides developed a roadmap outlining the sequence and timetable for future negotiations. They also agreed to establish a mechanism to review progress and address challenges in implementing obligations and commitments under the framework agreement, Xinhua News Agency reported.
The two sides welcomed progress in operationalising the ceasefire verification mechanism. According to the statement, its first ceasefire verification mission is scheduled for August 24 in Minembwe, in eastern DRC's South Kivu Province.
They also stressed the importance of adopting a standardised method for reporting alleged ceasefire violations and reaffirmed their commitment to pursuing negotiations toward comprehensive peace and conflict resolution.
In April, the government of DRC and M23 group said that progress had been made in Swiss-hosted peace talks on humanitarian access and ceasefire monitoring.
In a statement issued after meetings held from April 13 to 17 in Montreux, Switzerland, the two sides said they had made "substantial progress" toward concluding a protocol on humanitarian access and judicial protection, stressing the need to ensure vital assistance reaches conflict-affected populations in eastern DRC, Xinhua reported.
They agreed to refrain from destroying or seizing property indispensable to the survival of civilians. They also pledged to facilitate rapid, safe, sustainable, and unhindered humanitarian access, as well as the free movement of aid workers, relief goods, and humanitarian convoys in conflict-hit areas.
The two sides also agreed to release prisoners within 10 days under previously established arrangements, in a move aimed at strengthening mutual trust,
Since January 2025, the M23 has intensified offensives in the eastern provinces of North Kivu and South Kivu, seizing several key cities.



