News
UP Teen From Bijnor Recovered in Jammu & Kashmir's Kupwara; Police Probe Alleged Religious Conversion Angle

A 17-year-old boy from Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor district, whose alleged religious conversion in Jammu and Kashmir recently triggered controversy, has been traced and safely brought back by the police for questioning. Confirming the development on Thursday, Bijnor Superintendent of Police Abhishek Jha said authorities are investigating the circumstances under which the teenager travelled to Kupwara in Jammu and Kashmir and the claims surrounding his conversion to Islam.
According to SP Jha, a complaint was filed at Kotwali Police Station on May 18, 2026, by the boy’s father, alleging that his minor son had been taken to Jammu and Kashmir by another individual and forcibly converted there. Police later located the teenager in Kupwara and rescued him safely. Officials said the boy told investigators that he had briefly returned to his home in Bijnor nearly two weeks ago before going back to Kashmir. He reportedly claimed that the conversion ceremony took place at a mosque in Kupwara on May 15. Police stated that detailed questioning is underway and legal action will follow based on the findings.
Earlier, Circle Officer Sangram Singh had said that the complaint was lodged at Kotwali Nagar Police Station after the family learned about the alleged conversion. According to the complaint, the teenager had travelled to Kupwara several years ago to learn salon work with Waseem, a resident of Kazipada.
The victim’s father, Krishna Kumar, said the family trusted Waseem because of their long association. He explained that Waseem used to visit their home occasionally over the past few years and even provided financial help, giving the family no reason to suspect wrongdoing. The matter reportedly surfaced on May 15 after the teenager allegedly shared a video on Instagram claiming that he had accepted Islam. Following this, the family approached senior police officials and filed a formal complaint. Kumar also stated that his son is currently 17 years and four months old.
Waseem’s mother, Mohammadi, denied all allegations against her son. She claimed that Waseem is being falsely accused and insisted that the teenager had not been in contact with her son for the past two-and-a-half years. Police said the investigation is ongoing and more details are expected to emerge after further questioning.
Disclaimer: This image is taken from ANI.



