World

Iran says it is reviewing the latest US peace proposal as Trump calls for "good answers" from Tehran.

Published On Thu, 21 May 2026
Siddharth Chatterjee
2 Views
news-image
Share
thumbnail

As US President Donald Trump continues pressuring Iran to agree to a peace arrangement, diplomatic activity across West Asia has intensified rapidly. Iranian state media outlet Nour News reported on Thursday that Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei confirmed Tehran is currently examining the latest proposal sent by Washington. “We have received the US position and are reviewing it,” Baghaei stated.


According to Iranian officials, the American proposal was conveyed through Pakistani mediators. Tehran said Pakistan has remained actively involved in facilitating communication between Iran and the United States, with several rounds of indirect exchanges already taking place based on Iran’s previously proposed 14-point framework.

In the latest diplomatic engagement, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian held talks on Wednesday with Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsen Naqvi. During the meeting, both sides discussed regional developments, bilateral ties, and the current status of the indirect negotiations between Tehran and Washington. They also reviewed ongoing diplomatic consultations and efforts to implement earlier understandings.

Reports have also suggested that a more concrete agreement could emerge during this phase of negotiations. Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir is also expected to visit Iran, where further developments or announcements may take place. During discussions with the Pakistani delegation, President Pezeshkian acknowledged Islamabad’s role in promoting regional stability and supporting diplomatic engagement surrounding the Iran-US dialogue.

The renewed diplomatic push comes shortly after Trump issued a strong warning to Tehran, urging Iranian leaders to demonstrate seriousness about reaching an agreement. Speaking to reporters at Joint Base Andrews on Wednesday, Trump said the situation was nearing a critical point. “It’s right on the borderline. If we don’t get the answers we want, things could escalate very quickly,” he said, adding that Washington expected “complete and fully satisfactory responses” from Iran.

The rhetoric was further intensified by Stephen Miller, Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy and Homeland Security Advisor, who delivered a stark message during an interview with Fox News. Miller said Iran faced two choices — either accept terms acceptable to the United States or face severe military consequences. With tensions still high, the region remains on edge even as diplomatic efforts continue behind the scenes. Several countries and stakeholders are now attempting to secure an agreement that could prevent another major escalation in West Asia.

Disclaimer: This image is taken from Iran State Media.